A Novakid Sheriff fighting a Criminal
Forged eons ago in the fusion furnaces of a now-dead star, the Novakid are a perfect example of nature’s emergent beauty. These creatures, described by a Human astronomer as “interstellar gas-bag people”, have no known single origin point: that information is long lost, as the Novakid have little to no desire to record their history, or even pass it on to their offspring. Though they are (generally) more intelligent and intuitive than the “fleshy” races, their attention spans are lacking. This does not make them any less effective in combat, but has the effect of restricting their technology research (and any groundbreaking research is just built good enough before they lose interest in it).
The force that drives the Novakid is contained within the brand on their faces. Charged with huge amounts of energy, these pieces of metal generate the hard plasma “shells” which stop their constituent gases from leaking – if a Novakid is depleted of his or her vital gases, the energy contained within their brand is instantly vented into the very fabric of spacetime, leaving only a twisted metal symbol and a nearly undetectable warping of light around the area of death.
Since the Novakid have a short attention span, diplomatic relations can be strained at times. Because of their completely different composition to other lifeforms, Novakid are sometimes unable to grasp the nuances of interracial social interactions, and have thus attained a slightly dubious reputation amongst other races. In particular, an Avian diplomat reportedly described a Novakid he met as “dense” and elaborated upon his statement by mentioning that the Novakid in question had cheerily asked him if his god, Kluex, was real.
Novakids could have some major aspects in common with Sun/Stars, an example being that the color of their "gas" may show their current lifespan, and how long they have left (White, Blue, Yellow, Red), this is all speculation, though.
- Novakids were mentioned to be added as a bonus to the full release of Starbound if pre-orders would raise $500,000 in funds. (Which the currency from sales has overlapped this goal roughly eight times. Information for these can be found on Starbound's pre-order page and here. ) They have now been released in the "Winter update".
- The Novakid in Starbound are a merge of Suika's Anodyne and Bietol's Novakid suggestions from the forums.
- Even though the Novakid can create glowing light inside their body, they do not aid the Player in lighting up the room. (It currently appears that a player character of any race glows slightly so they can be seen in complete darkness, however.)
- They have symbols on their faces which are called brands. These symbols can vary in shape for each Novakid. They are charged with energy, also keeping the Novakid's vital gases from leaking out.
- Novakids used to start with a gun in beta versions, unlike the other races that started with melee weapons.